Immigration Law Firm Los Angeles

Practice Area

K-1/K-2 Visas


Best Immigration Attorney Los Angeles

Top Fiancé Visa Lawyer in Los Angeles

A K-1 visa is a type of non-immigrant visa that is used to allow a foreign citizen to enter the United States to marry their U.S. citizen fiancé within 90 days of their arrival.

The K-1 visa requires that the couple has met in person within the last two years prior to filing the petition and that both parties are legally free to marry.

The K-1 visa is valid for a single entry and is valid for a period of six months.After entering the United States, the foreign citizen must either marry their U.S. citizen fiancé(e) or leave the country.

This process can be complicated and full of technicalities. Our offices will help you understand the process and navigate through it easily. We have helped many couples obtain visas to travel to the United States and reunite with their future spouses.

How are K-1 and K-2 Visas Different?

K-2 visas are for unmarried children under 21 years of age of the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) who is applying for a K-1 visa. K-2 visa holders are allowed to enter the United States with their parents and remain in the country while the parent applies for a marriage-based green card.

In contrast, K-1 visas are for foreign-citizen fiancé(e)s of U.S. citizens who are coming to the United States to marry their U.S. citizen sponsor within 90 days of arrival. Despite belonging to the same category, each visa has a different application process and requirements. For that, it is recommended to hire a K-1 fiance visa immigration lawyer for smooth processing and higher chances of success.

What is the K-1 Visa Application Procedure?

The K-1 visa application process involves everything from filing the petition and document submissions to rigorous background and security checks. To better understand the process, here is a complete breakdown of the entire K-1 visa application process:

1. Filing of the Petition by the US Citizen

The first step in the K-1 visa application process is for the US citizen to file a petition with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This petition is known as the I-129F and must meet the following criteria::

  • Both parties must be legally eligible to marry and free from any previous marriages either by divorce, death, or annulment
  • The couple must have met in person within the past two years unless certain circumstances make this requirement impossible and have proof of the relationship of the couple before the engagement
  • Additionally, both parties must demonstrate that they have a valid intent to marry their fiancé or fiancée within 90 days of the foreign citizen’s arrival in the United States

Once the petition is approved, the foreign fiancé(e) will be notified and can then begin the next step in the process.

2. Completion of Form DS-160 by the Foreign Fiance

Completing Form DS-160 is an important step in the foreign fiance visa process. This form is used by the U.S. Department of State to determine the eligibility of an individual to receive a nonimmigrant visa. Once the form is completed, it must be submitted electronically, and a confirmation page and code will be generated.

3. Schedule the US Fiance Visa Interview

To schedule a US Fiance visa interview, you must first ensure that you are between the ages of 14 and 79. It is important to pay the visa fee and schedule the interview as soon as possible, as the Embassy or Consulate you are applying from may have a high workload and you may have to wait a long time for an appointment. Once the interview is scheduled, you will receive a letter confirming your appointment.

4. Have a Complete Medical Examination

A K-1 visa applicant will need to complete a  medical examination conducted by a licensed physician before traveling to the United States.

5. Compile Your K-1 Visa Documents

Compiling your document file for the K-1 visa application is an important step in the process. You will need to gather all the necessary documents, such as your birth certificate, passport, and financial documents, and bring them with you to your visa interview.

6. Attend the Visa Interview

During the interview, the interviewer will ask you questions about your relationship with the US citizen, your background, and any other information that may be relevant.

Why Get Legal Help for Your K-1/K-2 Visas?

The K-1 fiance visa process is complex and involves a lot of paperwork and documentation. An experienced Los Angeles fiance visa lawyer  can help you navigate the process and ensure that all necessary documents are filed correctly and on time. Additionally, a lawyer can provide advice on the best way to present your case to the immigration authorities, as well as the best way to respond to any questions or requests they may have.

Leading K-1 Fiance Visa Lawyers Near You

Confused about how to proceed with your K-1/K-2 visa applications? Book your consultation at (818) 748-8808 by calling now or scheduling a visit to our office to discuss how to best proceed with your case depending on your specific circumstances. Our law offices are ready to help you till the end of your visa application process.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Client Testimonial

Our Client Sucess is Everything

Amazing Lawyer

I hired Edith to help me with my O1 visa application. She went above and beyond with helping me put it together, making my case as strong as it could possibly be. She was very thorough, knew every detail, and helped me spend my time more wisely and on the things that actually mattered. She’s very knowledgeable and knows what she’s talking about.

- Alexandre

Very Professional & Honest

I contact Ms. Nazarian for consultation regarding a Humanitarian Parole application for some family members in Afghanistan. Ms. Nazarian was extremely helpful in guiding me throughout the process and advising me on the best course of action. She was extremely professional and diligent.

- Amina

Truly Outstanding Lawyer

Edith Nazarian is an extraordinary immigration lawyer. I’ve been working with Edith for several years now, having worked in two O1-B applications, and couldn’t be happier. Both applications got approved on the first try without a need for an RFE. I always recommend her to my friends in the ex-pat community.

- Luis


Recently had a phone consultation with Edith, she was very polite and professional with her advices. Highly recommend if you have questions in regards of your immigration status. Thank you for your time Edith, greatly appreciate it!

- Elen

Awards & Association

Skip to content